Communications/PR Strategist and Freelance Writer, Self-Employed
Detroit, MI – June 2018 – Present
Senior Account Executive, CRC Public Relations
Alexandria, VA – April 2016 – June 2018
- Served as client lead on numerous high-level accounts — managing all press, communications, and strategy for the companies/organizations.
- Monitored news daily and worked with clients to comment, write on, or publicize timely issues/issues of interest.
- Created and wrote effective pitches to ensure media coverage for clients and their issues. Drafted op-eds, statements, talking points, etc.
- Worked with producers, reporters, editors, and other media on a daily basis.
- Contributed research and story ideas to reporters, producers, and other media.
- Used vast personal network to build connections and coalitions for the company and for our clients.
Communications Consultant, Self-Employed
Arlington, VA – February – April 2016
Director of Communications, American Principles Project
Washington, D.C. – August 2013 – February 2016
- Built American Principles Project’s communications department from the bottom-up. APP had no communications structure and received little media attention prior to August 2013. Now APP is well-known by the media and the public.
- Directed all of the organization’s communications – including strategy, media relationships, press releases, statements, op-eds, talking points, television and radio appearances, and more.
- Worked with each individual program director to craft messaging for the program’s communications, which line up with goals of the department and the organization – including talking points, email blasts and other communications.
- Cultivated relationships with journalists, editors, and producers on a variety of topics.
- External relations/Coalitions manager – strategically worked with other organizations and activists throughout the country, to help APP’s notability, strategy, and outreach.
- Directed all social media, email news blasts, and online communications.
- Directed all creative development – all branding, websites, campaign graphics, event branding, document design, etc.
- Served as a senior strategist for all programs.
Communications/Program Director, Live Action
Washington, D.C. – December 2011 – August 2013
- Directed all social media platforms – creating a unique social media plan and made Live Action a leading social media platform, reaching over 650,000 people on a daily basis.
- Served as campaign manager – leading investigations, communications, and project releases, managing work of each team member and helping them execute every project release from start to finish.
- Creative director for campaigns – directing all branding, graphics, and website development.
- Managing editor of The Advocate magazine and assistant editor of LiveActionNews.org.
- Directed all communications for the organization including press releases, statements, and all other communications, including – talking points for television appearances, op-eds, press releases, email blasts, and more.
Grassroots Outreach Coordinator/New Media Director, Dana Rosemary Scallon for President
Dublin, Ireland – August 2011 – October 2011
- Organized grassroots teams across the country including door-to-door outreach, phone banks, and street activism.
- Served as Creative Director for the campaign, managing all branding, website development, and social media graphics.
- Polling – organized polling across the nation, analyzed data, and presented results and suggestions to the campaign.
- Managed Dana’s schedule, media appearances, and public relations opportunities.
Research Director, The Life Institute and Youth Defence
Dublin, Ireland – March 2010 – November 2011
- Researched and analyzed current events, news, and legislation.
- Successfully organized two international conferences in Dublin and Madrid, Spain; a public awareness tour in America; and various campaigns nationwide in Ireland.
- Writer and researcher for social media campaigns, op-eds, comprehensive reports, and all other communications.
- Assistant editor of fundraising appeals, Solas magazine, and advertising campaigns.
- Managed booking of conference speakers, media inquiries, interviews, and other press information.
Intern/Parliamentary Assistant, Senator Ronan Mullen
Dublin, Ireland – September 2009 – July 2010
- Researched and drafted speeches on a variety of topics including medical benefits, special needs assistance, animal cruelty, and human rights.
- Analyzed and prepared current topics for the daily Order of Business for Senator Mullen to present on the Senate floor.
- Examined the issues of healthcare, hospice care, dental benefits, special needs assistance, and more, in order to comprise statutes that were presented on the Senate floor by Senator Mullen.
- Managed lobbying attempts by Senator Mullen in relation to hospice care initiatives, special needs assistance, laws in Ireland, and more.
- Television/Radio: Has appeared on numerous television and radio programs on EWTN, The Blaze, Sun News Network, Ave Maria Radio, Relevant Radio, and more.
- Writing: Has been published in several publications on a variety of topics including Washington Post, TIME, IJ Review, The Daily Caller, Acculturated, The Federalist, Breitbart, Catholic News Agency, Catholic Vote, and more.
- Public speaking: Speaks regularly on a variety of topics including culture, feminism, and issues facing women in the world today.
- Leonine Fellow 2015-2016, Catholic Information Center, Washington, D.C.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
February 2009 – September 2009 Project Specialist, Metro Engineering Solutions, Belleville, MI
August 2007 – November 2008 Project Light-Speed Project Manager, AT&T, Howell, MI
August 2005 – August 2006 PR Assistant, Franciscan University Public Relations, OH
Masters of Arts in Public Affairs and Political Communication
The Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland – 2011 Graduate
Subjects: Public Affairs, Political Marketing, Political Structures, Corporate Environment and Strategy, TV Environment and Presentation, Ethics and Political Process, Electronic Communications, Public Affairs Writing, and Research Techniques
Dissertation: ‘Negative Campaigning and its Effect on Public Discourse’
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Arts
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Steubenville, OH – 2007 Graduate
Subjects: Law and Ethics, Latin, Human and Spiritual Integration, Philosophy of the Human Person, Prophets, Principles of Biblical Study, and Bioethics.